An interior design course will enhance your skills and boost your career chart. Moreover, learning software tools and having mastery of design elements will put you in a better position to find a job.
So, you may be curious to know about the subjects and modules offered and also never forget to go through previous years NID sample question papers.
For that purpose, we have created a blog that will guide you through the various subjects offered in the interior design course.
This course will guide you on the use of basic drawing materials, simple shapes, and composition for creating informative diagrams. Apart from this, drawing techniques such as one-point perspective, two-point perspective, oblique drawing, isometric drawing, and axonometric drawing are used. This knowledge every professional should have for their career growth.
Detailed study of common materials used in construction, such as brick masonry, stone masonry, lintels, arches, staircases, doors, windows, etc. In order to create new designs, designers appropriately designate their use in construction. Apart from this, the interior designer needs to understand the elements that will help in case of any demolition to be done on-site.
This course will cover aspects of building services with respect to providing water supply and drainage, thermal comfort, fire detection and protection. The students also learn the following:
- In this, students will understand the notion of heat transfer in buildings and learn the calculations integrated into the structure of the ducting system.
- You will be familiar with codes related to building service design and various HVAC, plumbing, and fire protection systems.
- You will understand the layout of the sanitary piping systems and parts of the water supply.
- Comprehend the many facets of designing building service systems.
- Understand the basics of fire detection, fire alarms, and fire suppression systems.
As the interior design world is always upgrading so is the need for a variety of new materials and finishes for sophisticated surfaces. As the market is full of career choices, it will make you overwhelmed or throw you a little bit off-track. For that reason, an interior design course will help you gain clarity regarding the main materials and finishes used in interior design. The students also learn the following:
- Understand the type of wood paneling, different types of wood, surface wood finish, and types of hardwood flooring.
- Learn about the types of stone cladding, types of textures and finishes, installation types, natural stone vs. veneer stone, different types of natural stones and their characteristics, and different types of tiles and their uses.
- Learn and comprehend the types of paint and their best uses; paint sheen options; special paints for certain jobs; faux finishes; and types of epoxy floors.
- Be familiar with PVC Wall Panels for Interiors, their advantages vs. inconveniences, and types of PVC Floor Panels for Interiors.
- Understand the Gypsum boards in interior design, the benefits and drawbacks, the basic types of gypsum boards in interior design, the basic steps for drywall installation, and the drywall finishes.
- Learn the types of wallpapers Wallpaper applications, wallpaper characteristics, wallpaper materials
- Understand the types of green walls used in living walls. Green wall systems, Irrigation systems for Green Walls Plants used in green walls “DIY green wall examples”
Environmental Design :
Interior design projects have a large variation in type and scale. Usually, in all kinds of projects factors such as daylight, electric lighting, water use, material use, and indoor environmental quality remain the same. This part helps the students understand the simple measurable aspects of each of these components that can be used in environmental design. The students also learn the following:
- Execute green design strategies in practice.
- Choosing materials based on sustainability criteria
- A simple sustainability matrix that can be used as a decision-making tool when choosing materials. The importance of adequate daylight levels and reduced lighting energy play a large role in indoor environmental quality.
- Understanding water usage and how to reduce it by using various fixtures, learning flow rates of fixtures, various aerators and sensors used in flow restrictors, The frequency of flushing
- Learn about cost, aesthetics, and other design considerations for materials.
This module will help you understand the characteristics of 18 different popular interior design styles. In this course, you will learn the following:
- Learn about 18 of the main interior design styles.
- Understand the illustrative furniture characteristics of each main style.
- Learn about the common materials, colour schemes, and commonly used patterns in each of the main styles.
- Understand the suitable window coverings and flooring used for each of the main styles.
History of Design
As designers, you need to learn the history and influences that will help them to create new designs. Due to the close relationship between humans and the environment, the study of history will help you understand the designs, techniques, religious beliefs, socio-economics, politics, and styles that have influenced the designs and genres.
The history of design module will give us a deeper understanding of early civilizations’ layouts, from the opulence of Egyptian pyramids to classical Greek designs to modern designs and styles. Here, in each civilisation, there is a contrast in design techniques and style that is in resonance with the rhythm of that era.
Through this module, you will be able to comprehend how past designs have contributed to and influenced today’s modern trends globally.
Even if you’re a wiz at designing, you need to understand the basics of interior design thoroughly. If you are able to get the basics right, this will help you in the long run. In this module you will learn the following things:
- Learn about the basics of interior design.
- Learn the interior design styles process and how to read and create floorplans, elevations, and section drawings.
How will SILICA help you?
We hope you have understood the subjects offered in interior design. How does SILICA come into the picture? We as SILICA provides guidance to students for NID, UCEED, DAT and CEED Entrance Exam . Clearing these exams with high marks will help you in getting admission to an interior designing course. So, our aim is to assist students and parents toward a good future.