Top Fashion Design Courses, Careers, Scope and Exams in India
Fashion Design is an art form related to the creation of clothing and other accessories that are a part of our lifestyle. The individuals that pursue or practice this art form are called fashion designers. The first person who bought fashion designing in the limelight was Charles Frederick Worth back in the 19th Century.
Modern Fashion design can be divided into two categories, Haute Couture and ready-to-wear. Haute Couture collection is created for certain customers and is sized to fit these customers only. To have an Haute Couture house, a designer has to be a part of the Syndical Chamber of Haute Couture and present a new collection with thirty-five different outfits, twice a year.
On the other hand, Ready-To-Wear collections are not custom made and come in standard sizes. Ready-To-Wear collections are suitable for large productions. They can be further classified into two categories: designer collections and confection collections. Designer collections are exclusive and have a philosophy behind it. They are often introduced to make a statement. You can find both The Haute Couture collection and Ready-To-Wear collections at international fashion shows.
Skills needed to be a Fashion Designer?
Fashion designing is a very creative profession, and you need to have a personality that will complement the art form. Drawing is a necessary skill, and you should also be able to convert your imaginations into sketches. Being an extraordinary artist is not mandatory, but you should have appropriate knowledge about colours, tones and shades. You have to be informed about how to work with different kinds of fabrics.
Having an eye on the upcoming and ongoing trends is also a part of fashion designing. A fashion designer should always be open towards learning new things. You need to visit art galleries and understand the perspective of every artist, and then put your imaginations to work. A fashion designer should also know the basics of tailoring. Understanding the quality of fabrics is also a part of the job.
What qualifications are needed for fashion design?
Any candidate who cleared the 12th class is eligible for the fashion design course at the graduation level. In prestigious dean schools, candidates should clear the board from recognized boards.
Skills Needed for Fashion Design Course:
The candidate pursuing fashion design should have artistic skills. They should be well versed in artistic skills and drawing. Some of the skills the candidate should have:
Creativity and artistic taste: Fashion designers should have artistic taste otherwise they would not be able to flourish.
Good communication skills: Designers should be able to verbally tell instructions to conceptualize their design.
Business acumen: They should be able to stay on budget and have a business sense to convert their design to capital.
Eye for detail: Detailing is one of the main aspects of any successful design. Even small details should be captured otherwise it will lead to big blunders.
Persuasiveness: Good understanding of market and customer lifestyle: The designer should create an oomph factor by creating benchmark design in the industry.
Sewing skills: Designers should be able to have sewing skills or mechanisms of it. Otherwise, they will not be able to guide people in designing the clothes.
Interest in sketching: Sketching is the backbone of any successful design. Without sketching no designer will be able to conceptualize it.
Visual imagination: Great designer should be able to visualize the design and able to express the vision to others
What Fashion courses are available in India?
There are many Fashion Designing Courses available in India at Diploma Level, UG Level, PG Level, PhD Level.
- B.Des in Fashion Design
- B.Sc. in Fashion Design
- B.Voc. in Fashion Design
- B.Sc. in Fashion and Apparel Designing
- Diploma In Fashion Design
- Computer-Aided Diploma in Fashion Designing
- Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design and Management
- M. Des in Fashion & Textiles
- M.Sc. in Fashion Designing
- M.A. in Fashion Design
- Masters of Fashion Management (MFM)
- P.G. Diploma in Fashion Design
- Certificate Course in Fashion Designing
Also Read: NIFT Campus Comparison
Top 5 Courses:
Amongst all the above courses, here are top 5 fashion designing courses:
1) Fashion Design
2) Fashion Communication
3) Apparel Design
4) Knitwear Design
5) Accessory DesignTOP
Job roles for Fashion Designers:
For a fashion designer, it is very important to understand the different patterns, designs, colours and fabrics of clothing. There are various job roles for fashion designers such as;
- Fashion Consultant/ Stylist:
Under this role, a fashion designer is mostly self-employed. A fashion consultant or stylist helps clients to set up their wardrobe, make changes to their dressing style and find the clothing that best suits them. They even advise others on the latest fashion trends and also suggestions on make-up and hair.
- Fashion Designer:
Under this job profile, fashion designers can either have their label or work under some brand and design clothing for them. It is the fashion designer who works on the styling of jeans, shirts, kids wear, knitwear and much more.
- Fashion Marketer:
As a fashion marketer, you can work for fashion brands, labels and even clothing outlets. It is the responsibility of a fashion marketer to increase the awareness of people towards a certain brand or store. Creating different marketing and promotions strategies for a brand and then executing them, is the job of a fashion marketer.
- Fashion Concept Manager:
Developing concepts that define the theme of a particular collection is done by a fashion concept manager. Suggesting unique themes for the designing of a clothing or accessory range comes under the job role of a fashion concept designer.
- Fashion Show Organizers:
After pursuing fashion designing, you could also become a fashion show organizer and organize shows internationally. To be a great fashion show organizer, you must be well connected in the industry.
Top Institutes in India that offer different courses in Fashion Designing:
Many institutes offer fashion designing courses at different levels, but here we suggest the best institutes.
- NIFT – All 17 Campuses
- Pearl Academy – Mumbai, Delhi, Noida, Jaipur, Bangalore
- UnitedWorld Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
- Symbiosis Institute of Design, Pune
- ISDI, School of Design & Innovation, Mumbai
- School of Fashion Technology, Pune
- Istituto Marangoni, Mumbai
- SRISHTI Manipal Institute of Art, Design & Technology
- Gurukul School of Design, Jaipur
- FDDI – All 12 Campuses
If you wish to pursue fashion designing, you need to pass through different entrance exams like NID, NIFT. SILICA is offering the best coaching for NID and NIFT entrance exams. We provide the best study material, mock tests, question papers and also online coaching sessions.
How many exams are there in Fashion Designing?
- NIFT exam: The NIFT conducts a GAT that happens once a year. It consists of a common entrance exam, situational test, and results.
- PRIVATE: Private colleges such as ISDI, UID, Istituto Marangoni, Pearl Academy, SOFT,
INIFD Andheri, IIAD, Delhi, and The Design Village
- IIAD exam: IIAD entrance exam is conducted by the Indian Institute of Art and Design in collaboration with the Kingston School of Art at Kingston University, London. It consists of a two-hour and thirty minutes written test that evaluates drawing and design skills, imaginative and creative expression, observation skills, as well as communication and visual strengths.
- Pearl Academy Entrance exam: Pearl entrance consists of an entrance exam, a personal interview, and then results are declared.
- UID: This is taken across 23 cities. The test comprises a General IQ Test, Analytical Test, and Creative Ability Test. After the exam is cleared, they have to appear in Situation Test & Portfolio Evaluation.
- ISDI: ISDI is a collaboration with Parsons School of Design in New York.
- MARANGONI: Istituto Marangoni does not accept any common entrance tests for admission.
What does SILICA give to fashion design?
SILICA provides courses in Design, Architecture, Fashion, and Art. SILICA also provides courses for NIFT and private courses for fashion design.
Getting into a prestigious college like NIFT takes a lot of discipline and effort. As it needs extensive preparation, for that we provide the tools that will help the students to pursue and succeed in exams.
- Which course is best for fashion designing?
Answer: NIFT is the best course for fashion design.
2. What is a fashion designing course?
Answer: A fashion designing course is an art of designing clothes and fashion accessories.
3. Is a fashion designing course easy?
Answer: No, fashion designing is not an easy course. Like any other course, it needed time, effort, and discipline to pass the test.
4. What are the requirements to study fashion design?
Answer: The student should be 12th pass in recognized universities. Some of the colleges only accept students from reputed universities.
5. Which course is best after the 12th?
Answer: If you have design and creative skills then Fashion design is the better option. Fashion design will help you in expanding your creativity horizon.
6. Is being a fashion designer a good career?
Answer: Yes, being a fashion designer is a good career choice.
7. What is the fee structure of fashion designing colleges?
Answer: The Fee structure of a fashion design course depends on college to college. If you want to know more about fee structure pls call SILICA.
8. Private colleges for Fashion Design
- ISDI, Mumbai – Fees 5.77 lac/a
- UID, Ahmedabad – 5.5 lacs/a
- Istituto Marangoni – 8 lacs/a
- PEARL ACADEMY – 6 Lac/a
- SOFT, Pune – 2 25 lac/a
- INIFD Andheri – 4.5 las/a
- IIAD, Delhi – 5.2 lac/a
- The Design Village – 5.5 lacs/a
9. How to get admissions for fashion designing courses?
Answer: You either get admission through government or private colleges.
10. How to go for fashion designing after my 12th this year?
Answer: You can do fashion designing through the government or private exams. NIFT is a government exam taken across 17 centers in India. There are 3 phases for NIFT
Phase 1:Common entrance
Phase 2:Situational test – Here the candidature has to go to a designated institute for the exam. Here spot topic is given and has to design and make clothes. One of the key gestures they check is handling the material.
Phase 3: Merit rank then campus is allotted in providence to rank
Phase 1: Entrance exam
Phase 2:After entrance exams are cleared, you will be eligible for 2nd round. It consists of 2 phases namely portfolio evaluation and personal interview. In portfolio evaluation, candidature work samples are evaluated. After that personal interview is taken
Phase 3: Final result
11. How to pursue fashion designing after my B.Tech?
Answer: Yes, not for bachelors but masters of fashion. There are three options namely
Master in fashion management, Master in desc, and Master in fashion technology.
12. What should I do to join NIFT after the 10th?
Answer: After the 10th fashion certification course at the local institute. The diploma is necessary for enrolling in NIFT.
Also Check: All About NIFT Placements
Also Check: Step into the Fashion World with Best NIFT Entrance Exam Preparation