1. Eligibility: Shortlisted candidates for B.Des after the Phase 1 examination are required to take a Situation Test. It is a hands-on test to evaluate the candidate’s skills for material handling and innovative ability in a given situation with a given set of materials. No additional material will be provided/allowed.
2. Criteria: for Evaluation: Candidates will be asked to make a model. The model will be evaluated on space visualization, innovative and creative use of given material, the composition of elements, color scheme, construction skill, the finesse of the model, and overall presentation, etc.
3. The Write-up: Candidates have to write in English a write-up explaining the concept behind the model constructed. Since the medium of instruction in NIFT is English, the write-up will be in English. No marks will be given for write-ups in any other language.
4. Evaluation by Jury: The evaluation of the test will be done by the Jury on the spot. The model will not be preserved for future reference.
5. Test Time & Place: The situation test is conducted at different NIFT campuses across India. The test duration is 2.0 hours, generally, 10.00 am – 12.00 pm. The reporting time is 1.0 hours before the test time.
6. Items to carry: Students have to carry the following items for the Situation Test. Do not bring any other material than those listed below.
● Blue Ball Point Pen
● Paper Cutter
● Pencils & Erasers
● Scale / Ruler
● Fevicol Tube
● Cello Tape
● All Pins (Simple)
7. Debarred Items: Use of electronic devices such as calculator, mobile phone, etc. are not allowed in the test campus/room. If any candidate is found carrying any such device, he/she will be asked to leave the test campus/room without completing the exam and his/her candidature will be canceled.
8. Admit Card & ID Proof: You must bring the admit card to the examination campus failing which you will not be allowed to enter the examination hall. You must bring any valid ID proof such as (i) a Voter ID Card, (ii) PAN Card, (iii) Driving License, (iv) a Photo ID issued by any government organization or recognized educational institute, (v) a Passport (vi) Aadhar Card or any other suitable ID Proof to the test campus along with the admit card.
9. Original Documents: After Studio Test and Interview, your documents will be verified at the Campus. Therefore, you are required to bring all the relevant original certificates/documents along with one set of self-attested copy of documents for verification along with copy of the application form, failing which your candidature will not be considered for admission.
10. Marks Weightage: The situation test marks have 20% weightage in calculating the final merit score of the student in the NIFT entrance examination. The CAT paper marks account for 50% and GAT paper marks account for 30% of the weightage.
Hope this note clarified all your doubts about the NIFT Situation Test. For more information, please watch these 2 videos from SILICA:
All the Best!