National Institute Of Fashion Technology or popularly known by NIFT is one of the nation’s leading autonomous institutes that offers programs in fashion, designing, management, and technology. The main campus of NIFT or its headquarters is located in New Delhi, India with 17 other branches spread across the country. The institute offers courses in Bachelor of Design (B.Des), Bachelor in Fashion Technology (B.FTech), its Foundation programs, Masters in Design (M.Des), Maters in Fashion Technology (M. FTech), Masters in Fashion Management (MFM), along with part-time and full-time doctoral programs.
The institute conducted its annual NIFT entrance examination at the national level to shortlist fashion and design aspirants for admissions in its various offered programs. The aspirants need to take both the NIFT CAT and the NIFT GAT tests, in order to qualify for the next round of admissions in their B.Des, and M.Des courses.
The weightage of each course depends on different criteria, like for admission in the B.Des courses CAT test carries 50% weightage, GAT is 30% and after the candidates qualify these two tests then they’re called for the NIFT situation tests. Similarly, for the M.Des courses, the CAT carries 40% weightage, GAT carries 30%, and then the rest 30% is the Group Discussion and the Personal Interview.
For the NIFT Fashion Technology course, the entire 100% of weightage is carried by the GAT test and the M. FT courses, 70% weightage is the GAT test and the rest 30% is GD/PI.
The first part of the NIFT examinations is the NIFT CAT Test or the NIFT Creative Ability Test. The candidates are evaluated based on their observational skills, intuition skills, innovation skills, concept development ability, and designing skills. The test tests the creative and the innovative use of color, and illustration that the candidate shows. The NIFT CAT test is conducted offline on a paper-pencil basis for the duration of three hours.
The second part of the NIFT examination is the NIFT GAT Test or the NIFT General Ability Test. The candidates seeking admission in the B.Des programs have to appear in the NIFT GAT Test in order to qualify for the second round. The test consists of five sections, Quantitative ability, communication ability, English comprehension, Analytical Ability, General Knowledge, and Current Affairs. The test is conducted for a duration of 2 hours in offline mode.
According to sources, approximately 23,000 aspirants attempt NIFT examinations every year with only 4,517 total seats available in their B.Des and M.Des programs.
This year the NIFT 2021 was conducted in the month of February in 32 national cities across India with the results being declared in the month of March. The candidates who qualify for the NIFT CAT and GAT tests go further for the NIFT Situation Tests and the GD and PI rounds. After qualifying all the rounds, the candidates are offered counseling to take admission to the various campuses across India.
Due to the pandemic this year the NIFT counseling was conducted online. For further information, you can check the official NIFT website.
This year 950+ SILICA students attempted NIFT 2021 out of which 650+ SILICA students cleared the examination for UG and PG courses.
NIFT Coaching: https://silica.co.in/nift-entrance-exam-coaching.html
Also Read: NIFT Campus Comparison
Also Read: All About NIFT Placements
Also Read: What Is The Difference Between NID And NIFT?